First Aid Tips – Quick, Simple Strategies for Common Emergencies
We should all become familiar with basic first aid tips. First aid is the first step of care for an individual that is suffering from an illness or has sustained an injury. In most instances, the individuals that are in the direct vicinity of a person that becomes ill or injured are not experts in the medical field.
However, by initializing and continuously providing first aid to the person experiencing complications, you may reduce the severity of the complications that they are experiencing, promote the successful recovery of the patient and/or preserve and prolong their life.
Throughout this guide, you will learn some quick, simple strategies for the most common medical emergencies. In addition to the steps highlighted in this medical emergency guide, you should always seek immediate medical attention for the individual.
Many individuals suffer from an animal bite throughout their lifetime. The most common type of bite is that which comes from a canine. However, there are many other types of animals that may bite a person. Examples of these animals include cats, rodents, and rabbits. Each year, approximately two million people in the United States alone suffer from bites annually, making this a common medical emergency.
When an animal bite occurs, it could result in the breakage of the skin, a puncture based wound or a bruise. Immediate action is typically required for these types of incidents. You may take the following first aid steps to deal with an animal bite:
- If the animal bite has result in a puncture, you should apply pressure to the injury site in order to control the bleeding associated with the wound.
- Pressure should be applied with a cloth that is clean and dry.
- It is important to avoid removing the cloths that you are using to apply pressure.
- Instead of removing pressure, be certain to place additional cloths on top of the wound.
When it comes to orthopedic problems in the United States, broken bones are the most common. As a matter of fact, approximately seven million new cases occur each year. There are numerous complications that occur when an individual experiences a break in the bone.
Examples of these problems include the onset of infection at the location where the break occurred, damage to the nerves, and damage to the tendons and ligaments in the immediate vicinity of the break. There are many first aid tips available for this type of medical emergency. The following highlights these tips:
- If a broken bone results in skin breakage, you should apply a sterile bandage or a clean, dry cloth to the region in an effort to control bleeding.
- If you are able to create a splint or acquire a splint, it should be used to immobilize the affected region.
- Ice packs may be applied to the region in order to alleviate pain and reduce inflammation.
- Many individuals that break a bone may go into a state of shock. If this occurs, it is imperative to ensure that they lie as flat as possible and elevate their legs.
Cuts and/or Scrapes
Cuts and/or scrapes are extremely common occurrences. In most instances, individuals do not require additional medical care. However, the right first aid tips must be learned in order to reduce the possibility for other medical complications to occur. Examples of these issues include blood loss and infections. You may use the following first aid tips to avoid these potential problems:
- The first goal is to stop the bleeding. In order to do this, place a sterile bandage or a clean cloth on the affected region.
- Once the bleeding stops, it is important to clean the cut and/or scrape with only water that is clear. It is important to avoid soaps as this could result in irritation. This step is important in reducing the possibility that infections could occur.
- Once the region is completely clean, you may use antibiotic ointment on the region in order to alleviate the possibility that infection could develop. This type of substance encourages the body to heal in a natural manner.
- You should then cover the wound with a sterile bandage. This assists in keeping the region clean and preventing potentially harmful bacteria from entering in the area.
A Fever in a Child
A fever is a sign that the body is fighting an infection. As a matter of fact, it is considered to be part of the natural defense system of the body that safeguards against infectious agents. It is imperative that you understand that a fever is not a sign that the body is fighting against itself. It is a sign that the body is fighting to protect itself against a foreign agent. If your child has a fever, you may use the following first aid tips to address it:
- Avoid providing the child with aspirin in order to reduce the fever as this could result in more severe health complications.
- It is best to provide the child with medications such as Tylenol® or Motrin®, according to the dosage instructions for their age and weight.
- The child should be provided with an ample amount of fluids to reduce the possibility that dehydration may occur.
- A compress may be placed on the child’s head, the back of their neck, or on their wrists to reduce the fever that they are suffering from while ill.
Dehydration is another common medical issue. This occurs when there is a greater amount of water leaving the body than there is being inserted into the body. Hydration is actually considered to be a critical component in the normal functions of the body. When dehydration occurs, many complications may start to arise. You may take the following first aid tips to combat dehydration:
- Small amounts of clear fluids, such as water, should be sipped regularly.
- Drinks that include a high amount of electrolytes and carbohydrates are especially beneficial. Examples of these include Pedialyte® and Gatorade®.
- Ice chips and popsicles that are created from natural juices and water may be sucked on to replenish hydration levels in the body.
- Many individuals benefit from consuming clear fluids and other types of beneficial fluids by utilizing a straw in order to get them into the body.
Many individuals may suffer from problems with foreign objects becoming unnaturally embedded within the body. Examples of these items may include a wood splinter, a nail or item that is similar in nature. You may use the following first aid tips to address this type of medical emergency:
- It is important to avoid trying to remove the object from the body.
- You should wrap the region with a clean cloth or gauze in order to prevent it from movements that could complicate the situation.
- If bleeding is occurring, it should be stopped through the use of a sterile bandage or other type of clean cloth.
- If you find that the bleeding seeps through the covering that you have, leave that covering on and continue to add additional coverings until medical assistance arrives.
Heat exhaustion is a potentially serious complication that could result in many uncomfortable symptoms and complications. Examples of these include rapid pulse of the heart, dizziness, cramping of the muscles, and headache. The main complication that may occur is heatstroke. In order to assist a person experiencing heat exhaustion, you may use the following first aid tips:
- The sufferer should be placed in an area that is cool and shaded.
- Clear fluids that encourage hydration and are cool may be administered. Additionally, snacks that include salt may also be provided to the sufferer as deemed appropriate.
- The clothing that the sufferer is wearing should be loosened or completely removed in order to cool the body more rapidly.
- It is important to avoid providing the patient with products that contain caffeine and/or alcohol.
- You should always avoid using an alcohol rub on the body when heat exhaustion is suspected.
If you suspect that an individual is experiencing a heat stroke, it is essential that you call 911 immediately. This is a medical emergency that may prove to be life-threatening. While waiting on medical help, you may perform the following first aid tips:
- The person may be moved to a cool environment.
- If the patient is conscious, you may place them in a bath that contains cool water.
- The skin of the body may be moistened with water that is lukewarm in nature. In addition to this, you may also use a fan in order to blow air on the sufferer as it assists in reducing the body temperature.
- If the patient has the tolerance, you may administer fluids that are cool.
There are many accidents and incidents that may result in a knocked-out tooth. If you are faced with this medical emergency, you may use the following first aid tips:
- You should hold the tooth by the top section and then clean it in tap water.
- The tooth may then be placed back in the mouth in the socket region. The victim should be encouraged to bite down on a tea bag that has been gently moistened with water.
- If the individual is having a difficult time keeping the tooth in place, you may place it in whole milk, mild saltwater that is warm or in the saliva taken from the person’s mouth.
As you can see, there are many first aid tips that may be utilized if you are faced with a medical emergency. Should you come in contact with a person that requires medical assistance, you should immediately dial 911. However, there are numerous steps that may be taken to assist in reducing the severity of the complication that is being experienced.
Furthermore, these actions may assist in promoting recovery and prolonging the patient’s life. If you are unsure of steps to take, extreme caution should be used. However, by utilizing the first aid tips in this guide, you will be able to effectively cope with the most common medical emergencies experienced by individuals each year.